Ticks are a reality as our families enjoy the outdoors this spring and summer. Whether the tick affects your pet, your kids or yourself, ticks are an unpleasant pest that can be painful and annoying to remove. So what can be done about these ticks in Charlotte NC? In this blog, Noosa Pest will share with you:
-Some DIY steps you can take to control the tick population in your yard
-How to remove a tick and identify symptoms of tick-born illness
-The offerings that Noosa Pest has to handle a tick issue or tick prevention at your home.
First, lets discuss DIY yard maintenance and how you can discourage ticks from making their home in your backyard. The checklist below includes basic tasks that make ticks in Charlotte NC less likely to hide in your yard this spring and summer.
- Remove lead litter/piles
- Clear tall grasses and brush around homes and at the edge of lawns.
- Place a 3-ft wide barrier of wood chips or gravel between lawns and wooded areas to restrict tick migration into recreational areas.
- Mow the lawn frequently.
- Stack wood neatly and in a dry area (discourages rodents).
- Keep playground equipment, decks, and patios away from yard edges and trees.
- Discourage unwelcome animals (such as deer, raccoons, and stray dogs) from entering your yard by constructing fences.
- Remove old furniture, mattresses or trash from the yard that may give ticks a place to hide.
Those are some great tips for prevention of ticks in Charlotte NC but what if you already have a tick? What if you need to remove a tick off of a child? Here are four easy steps you can use to handle your tick situation:
- Use fine-tipped tweezers to grasp the tick as close to the person’s skin surface as possible.2.
- Pull upward with steady, even pressure. Don’t twist or jerk the tick; this can cause the mouth-parts to break off and remain in the skin. If this happens, remove the mouth-parts with tweezers. If you are unable to remove the mouth easily with clean tweezers, leave it alone and let the skin heal.3.
- After removing the tick, thoroughly clean the bite area and your hands with rubbing alcohol, an iodine scrub, or soap and water.
- Dispose of a live tick by submersing it in alcohol, placing it in a sealed bag/containe or wrapping it tightly in tape. Never crush a tick with your fingers.
In a situation where a tick bite occurs, it’s important to remember that there are tick born illnesses that can occur. There are some clear signs to look for after a tick bite that indicate an infection, and you should see a doctor if you experience any of these symptoms. Fever, chills, aches, pains and rashes are the most common indicators of a tick born illness. Be on the lookout for any combination of these symptoms and remember that early detection reduces the risk of serious complications.
When it’s time to call in the professionals, Noosa Pest Management is here for you! We offer tick prevention service in Charlotte NC Mooresville NC Fort Mill SC Tega Cay SC that are customized to each yard. These services include comprehensive applications of residual insecticides to the yard to control possible existing tick populations and future activity. We recommend these services be performed every 90 days in high risk areas.
Call our office today at (704) 499-9922 to discuss your options and to hear more about how we can help protect your family and pets from diseases spread by the nasty tick!