Does The Rain Impact My Pest Control?
“It’s raining and I have scheduled my pest control service. Should I call to reschedule?”
If you’ve had this thought you are not alone!
When it starts to rain we often receive calls from our clients asking to reschedule for a sunnier day or wondering if it’s okay to apply products in the wet weather. Understandably, most people think pest control treatments will wash away with the rain or be less effective because it’s wet outside. We’re here to tell you not to fret – for a few reasons!
Pest Control Protected Barrier
The barrier of your home, where we focus our attention – around your door frames, windows, eaves, and overhangs – is protected from the rain and most often remains dry during heavy rainfall. These are the areas insects must travel through to gain access into your home!
Our pest control professionals employ strategic methods to ensure the treatment reaches those hidden spots where pests typically enter or reside, even during rainy weather. We apply the pest control product beneath the siding, around the foundation, and in the crevices and cracks of your home, which are usually sheltered from rain. The products are designed to bind to surfaces and create a residual effect that continues to kill pests long after the initial application. This ensures that even in wet conditions, the treatments remain effective, reaching the areas where bugs lurk or travel, but rainwater does not.
We Use Rain-resistant Pest Control Products
Our products are designed to withstand accelerated breakdown from most elements like the sun and rain. At Noosa, we use premium products from the most innovative manufacturers to deliver the best performance for our clients.
Pest control products, especially the ones we use at Noosa, are engineered to be highly resistant to the elements. These products are formulated to adhere to surfaces and resist wash-off by rainwater. The active ingredients in the products are encased in a water-resistant shell, ensuring they remain effective even when exposed to moisture. This shell only breaks down when a pest comes into contact with it, releasing the active ingredient and eliminating the pest. Rain has only a minimal impact on the effectiveness of our treatments, allowing us to continue providing our pest control services even in wet weather conditions.
We are consistently meeting with these manufacturers to discuss enhancements that we would like to see made and investigating new products for use as we serve our clients. We recently traveled to Nashville for the National Pest Management Association’s PestWorld Convention for this very purpose. Protecting your home is our passion and what we’re here to do!
Pests + Rain = Breeding Bonanza
Many insects will be out of the soil and on the move during a rainfall event! It is very important to continue to receive your routine service on time in order to protect the home from these foraging pests.
Believe it or not, a rainy day could be an ideal time to call an exterminator. Pests, particularly insects like ants, termites, and cockroaches, tend to be most active during and after rainfall. Moist conditions drive many insects out of their hiding places in search of dry areas, often leading them straight into our homes.
Rain can also stimulate breeding among certain pests, leading to a surge in their population.
Several insects are known to proliferate after rainfall or in areas with standing water. Here’s a list of some:
- Mosquitoes — They lay their eggs in stagnant water, and heavy rainfall often increases mosquito populations.
- Gnats — These small flying insects also breed in stagnant water and are more noticeable after rain.
- Midges — Similar to mosquitoes and gnats, midges reproduce in standing water, especially after rainfall.
- Cockroaches — Moist conditions drive these pests to seek out warm, dry places for shelter, often leading them into homes.
- Ants — Many ants are known to breed more rapidly after rain, especially if their nests have been disturbed or flooded.
- Termites — Termites need humid conditions to reproduce and often swarm after heavy rain.
By scheduling pest control services during or immediately following rain, you can effectively target these pests at their peak activity level and curb their potential population growth. Therefore, contrary to what many homeowners think, a rainy day is actually the prime time to wage an effective war against these unwanted intruders.
In addition to keeping your regularly scheduled pest control appointment, below are some steps you can take to keep bugs from getting into your house when it rains.
Help Prevent Bugs From Entering Your Home After Rain
- Seal Cracks and Holes: Check for any gaps or cracks in your home’s exterior. These could be around doors, windows, pipes, or utility lines. Seal them up to prevent bugs from getting inside.
- Proper Drainage: Ensure your home’s drainage system works correctly. Standing water can attract pests, making it a breeding ground for many insects.
- Clean Gutters: Regularly clean your gutters to prevent water from accumulating. Blocked gutters can create pools of water, attracting various types of pests.
- Fix Leaks: Leaky pipes or roofs can cause excess moisture, creating an ideal environment for pests. Make sure to repair any leaks promptly.
- Proper Storage of Food and Waste: Always store your food in sealed containers and ensure your trash cans have tight-fitting lids. Pests are attracted to food and garbage, so proper storage can discourage them.
- Maintain Your Yard: Regularly mow your lawn and trim your bushes. Long grass and overgrown bushes provide shelter for pests. Also, remove any standing water in your yard after rain.
- Install Door and Window Screens: Screens can be an effective barrier against bugs entering your home. Ensure they are in good condition and replace them if necessary.
By following these steps, you can significantly minimize the probability of pests finding their way into your home during rainy weather.
Noosa’s Crawl Space Dehumidification And Vapor Barrier Services
At Noosa, we understand that the rainy season can create a particularly attractive environment for pests in your home’s crawl space. To combat this, we offer crawl space dehumidification and vapor barrier services specifically designed to protect these vulnerable areas.
Dehumidification is a process that reduces the level of humidity in the air, creating a less hospitable environment for many types of pests. Crawl spaces are often humid due to their proximity to the ground, which makes them an ideal breeding ground for pests during the rainy season. A dehumidifier can significantly lower the humidity level, making it less appealing to pests.
Vapor barriers, on the other hand, are materials used to resist the diffusion of moisture. When installed correctly, they can effectively stop the movement of water vapor from the ground into your crawl space, preventing the build-up of moisture that attracts pests.
Investing in these services can mitigate the risk of a pest infestation during the rainy season. By creating an environment in your crawl space that is less attractive to pests, you can reduce the chance of an infestation spreading to the rest of your home. Plus, controlling moisture in your crawl space can also prevent the growth of mold and mildew, which can compromise the structural integrity of your home and contribute to poor indoor air quality. Our dehumidification and vapor barrier services offer a dual benefit of pest control and home maintenance.
We Provide Peace Of Mind
In summary, concerns typically arise among our clients when the weather turns rainy, and their pest control service is due. The assumption is that the rain will diminish the effectiveness of the pest control treatments or wash them away entirely. When these concerns crop up, we see a surge in calls from clients requesting to reschedule their service to a sunnier day. We assure you that there’s no cause for worry, as rain doesn’t undermine the effectiveness of pest control treatments.
Our Pest Management Professionals always follow the EPA-approved label for all products that we use! You, your home, and the environment are at the forefront of our minds.
We strive to provide you peace of mind, no matter the weather. We offer our guarantee that if we need to return to a client’s home that subscribes to one of our recurring services, we do so at no charge! Rain or shine, we are here to serve you!
Fred Wingate is the dedicated Owner and Chief Bugman at Noosa Pest Management, a thriving pest control company in Charlotte, NC. He established the company in 2006 with a vision to provide exceptional pest management services to the local community. By staying up-to-date with the latest advancements in pest management and fostering a culture of continuous improvement, he ensures that Noosa Pest remains at the forefront of the industry.
Not only is Fred deeply invested in the well-being and satisfaction of his clientele, he is also passionate about supporting the local community, including schools, churches, and other organizations. The future of our community is important to Noosa Pest, and proudly contributes to its growth and prosperity.